Aug 19, 2022
The Bachelor of Music (B.M.) with a Concentration in Vocal Performance is designed for students who are planning careers as performing musicians. The culminating experiences for this degree program are Junior and Senior Recitals.
General Education Courses (34 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communications (O) course are fulfilled by the Music History courses in the major.
Foreign Language Courses (8-16 credit hours)
Students must demonstrate proficiency at the 1202 level in TWO different foreign languages , one of which must be French, German, Italian, or Spanish. Proficiency for each language can be demonstrated in the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of that language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions;
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Major Courses (59-61 credit hours)
Foundation Courses (7-9 credit hours)
Ensembles Courses (10 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (1) (8 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (1) (2 semesters)
Applied Music and Recital Preparation Courses (17 credit hours)
- MUPF 12xx and MUPF 32xx - Applied Music and Advanced Applied Music (12)
- MUPF 34xx and MUPF 44xx - Junior and Senior Recital Preparation (5)
Performance Classes (8 semesters)
Music Theory Courses (8 credit hours)
Class Piano Courses (4 credit hours)
Aural Skills Courses (4 credit hours)
Music History Courses (9 credit hours)
Concentration Courses (23 credit hours)
Unrestricted Elective Courses
Degree Total = 134 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .
For the suggested course sequence toward completing the major, please see the Academic Plan of Study available online at academics.uncc.edu. Consultation with an advisor is required.