Feb 24, 2024
Honors Programs are available for all majors within the Department of Kinesiology. The honors notation will appear on a student’s official transcript.
Students are eligible to participate in the Honors Program in their Sophomore or Junior year of study. Consideration for admission to the Honors Program may be initiated by the student or by any faculty member in the Department of Kinesiology.
To apply for admission, students must:
- Have an overall GPA of 3.2 and a GPA of 3.5 in their respective major in the Department of Kinesiology.
- Submit a typed statement (maximum length of 500 words) explaining:
- What the student’s academic/career goals are in their respective major within the Department of Kinesiology
- How the Department of Kinesiology’s Honors Program is relevant to the student’s academic and/or career interests
The Department of Kinesiology Honors Program Committee reviews the materials of all eligible student applicants on an ad hoc basis and recommends to the Department of Kinesiology Chair those individuals who should be admitted into the program.
Students may be removed from the Honors Program at any time upon their own request or upon recommendation of the Honors Program Committee in consultation with the Department of Kinesiology Chair. There is no penalty for removal from the Honors Program.
To obtain Honors in their respective major in the Department of Kinesiology, students must:
- Complete at least 6 credit hours of Honors coursework (not including the thesis)
- Complete at least 3 credit hours of KNES 4700 with an A, which includes writing an honors thesis under the supervision of a single faculty member, and publicly presenting the results of that research to the department faculty
- Explain, in writing, how their course of study in the department developed a focused inquiry into the student of a Kinesiology major (Exercise Science, Neurodiagnostic and Sleep Sciences, or Respiratory Therapy) to the satisfaction of the Department of Kinesiology Honors Committee
- Have a GPA of at least 3.2 for all coursework at UNC Charlotte and a GPA of at least 3.5 in their respective major in the Department of Kinesiology at UNC Charlotte
- Comply with all procedural and substantial requirements established by the Honors Council and the Faculty Council for graduating with Honors in a department