Applicants must meet the general Graduate School requirements for admission to Master’s Degree programs. Applications must include all of the materials listed by the Graduate School as typical for Master’s Degree application submissions. In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in any scientific, engineering or business discipline or a closely related field is required. Acceptable scores on the GRE or GMAT are also required in order to apply for the Master’s Degree.
The GRE/GMAT requirement may be waived for applicants who meet one of the following:
- Hold a terminal degree (e.g., J.D., M.D., D.D.S., or Ph.D.)
- Have a cumulative undergraduate or graduate GPA of 3.0 and above from a nationally accredited college or university in the United States
- Have successfully completed a minimum of two of the required courses in the Graduate Certificate in Data Science and Business Analytics with a GPA of 3.5 or above, with no more than one grade of B, and a letter of recommendation from at least one of the course instructors
- Have a minimum of two years of work experience in data analytics or related fields
Waiver from GRE/GMAT must be requested from the DSBA Faculty Director when submitting the completed application. All waivers are at the discretion of the DSBA Faculty Director and the applicants satisfying the above requirements may be asked by the DSBA Faculty Director to report GRE/GMAT scores.
In addition, prior to matriculation, the program requires:
- A current working knowledge of at least one higher-level (procedural) language; and a familiarity with computer applications
- A minimal background in mathematics is also required, including two semesters of calculus and one semester of statistics
Individuals who have worked at a high professional level in the computer industry or business may be able to substitute work experience for specific subject area admission requirements. Individuals without a business degree or business experience are required to complete an online business fundamentals course prior to enrolling in the program.
Early Entry Program
Exceptional undergraduate students at UNC Charlotte may apply for the Early Entry Program and begin work toward the graduate degree before completion of the baccalaureate degree. See the Undergraduate Catalog for details and requirements. Also see the Degree Requirements and Academic Policies section of the Graduate Catalog for more information about Early Entry Programs.
Accelerated Master’s Program
Academically talented high school seniors and UNC Charlotte undergraduate freshmen are encouraged to apply for the Accelerated Master’s Program to begin work toward both undergraduate and graduate degrees in their Freshman year. See the Undergraduate Catalog for details and requirements. Also see the Degree Requirements and Academic Policies section of the Graduate Catalog for more information about Accelerated Master’s Programs.
Thirty-three graduate credit hours are required for the DSBA PSM. Of the 33 graduate credit hours, 24 credit hours are required core courses (inclusive of 3 hours for the internship), and 9 credit hours of electives. A minimum of 24 credit hours contributing to the M.S. in Data Science and Business Analytics must be from courses numbered 6000 or higher. A maximum of 6 hours of graduate credit may be transferred. Students may apply all of the credits earned in the Graduate Certificate in Data Science and Business Analytics toward the M.S. in Data Science and Business Analytics with the approval of the DSBA Program Director. All students take the following courses: