Mar 30, 2023
- Minimum GPA: n/a
- Pre-Major/Prerequisite Courses: Completion of nursing prerequisite courses by the end of the semester of application to the Upper-Division Nursing major with a minimum grade of a C. Completion of at least three (3) of the prerequisite science courses and their respective labs prior to applying to the Upper-Division Pre-Licensure Nursing Major with a grade of B or above. Only 1 grade of C is allowed for a 3-credit hour prerequisite course, which must be re-taken for a grade of B or above prior to applying to Upper-Division. Students applying for Fall admission must complete required prerequisite courses by the end of the Spring semester preceding their admission. Students applying for Spring admission must complete require prerequisite courses by the end of the Fall semester preceding their admission.
- Other: Students admitted to the Upper-Division Pre-Licensure Nursing major must be certified as a Nurse Aide I (CNA I) and listed in the North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry
- Declaration of Major: Freshmen seeking admission to the Upper Division Pre-Licensure Nursing Major may be admitted as Pre-Nursing.All students begin as Pre-Nursing majors and apply to Upper-Division once eligible. Freshmen who do not meet the criteria or have never applied for admission to Pre-Nursing may request a change of major to Pre-Nursing after completion of 30 credit hours at UNC Charlotte with an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. An advising session is required prior to declaration. Application to the Upper-Division Pre-Licensure Nursing Major is online. Information about the online application process and deadlines is available on the School of Nursing website.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Pre-Major/Prerequisite Courses: A grade B or above is required in any Science prerequisite coursework. Only one grade of C is allowed for a 3-credit hour prerequisite course, which must be re-taken for a grade B or above prior to applying to upper division.
- Transferable Credit Hours: 24
- Declaration of Major: Transfer students who have not completed all prerequisites may be admitted to UNC Charlotte as Pre-Nursing. In order to declare Pre-Nursing, transfer students admitted to the University must have an overall GPA of 3.0 based on all university/college coursework. Transfer students who do not meet the criteria or have never applied for admission as Pre-Nursing may request a change of major to Pre-Nursing after completion of the first full semester at UNC Charlotte (at least 15 credit hours; Summer not included) with an overall GPA of 3.0 or above.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN) requires a minimum of 120 credit hours for the Upper-Division Pre-Licensure Nursing curriculum and the RN-to-BSN completion curriculum. Students must earn the last 25% of baccalaureate degree requirements at UNC Charlotte.
General Education Courses (12 credit hours)
Some required Prerequisite Courses (listed above) and Major Courses (listed below) meet General Education requirements. Additionally required are four LBST courses. For details on required courses, refer to the General Education Program .
Prerequisite Course Requirements (40-41 credit hours)
See above list under Admission Requirements.
Pre-Licensure Upper-Division Nursing Major Courses (61 credit hours)
Unrestricted Elective Courses (5-7 credit hours)
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Licensure Exam Review Course
Students must complete a nursing licensure exam (NCLEX) review course prior to graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
All Nursing major courses must be completed with a grade of C or above. Students must also have a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall.
For details about the Honors Program in Nursing, visit the program page .