Oct 01, 2023
The Organizational Communication concentration is designed for students whose careers will benefit from an understanding of the communication processes that occur within organizational contexts. Students explore both the theory and practice of organizational communication.
All program-level Admissions and Progression Requirements are in addition to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Admission Requirements .
Freshmen and Transfers
Students who apply for the Communication Studies major are initially classified as Pre-Communication Studies majors until they meet the following requirements.
- See University Admission Requirements
- Minimum GPA: 2.0
- Pre-Major/Prerequisite Courses: Students planning to change to or declare Communication Studies as their major must have received a minimum grade of C in the following:
- Students who do not meet requirements for admission because of special circumstances may petition the Department of Communication Studies for acceptance into the program.
- Transferable Credit Hours: 24
Currently Enrolled Students
- Declaration of Major: Students are initially classified as Pre-Communication Studies (PCOM) majors until they meet the above requirements. Change of Major forms are accepted year-round after the student has attended a Communication Studies orientation/advising session.
- Students matriculated at UNC Charlotte and planning to change or declare Pre-Communication Studies as their major must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
Students who apply for the Communication Studies major are initially classified as Pre-Communication Studies majors until they meet the following requirements: cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above and successful (grade C or above) completion of COMM 1101 , COMM 2100 , COMM 2104 and either STAT 1220 or STAT 1222 . Students matriculated at UNC Charlotte and planning to change or declare Pre-Communication Studies as their major must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
The program leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Studies requires 120 credit hours. In addition to the requirements for the Communication Studies major, students may also complete coursework in a specific concentration of study, or electives as specified for those students who are completing the major without a concentration. Courses that are required within a particular concentration or used as electives within the concentration cannot simultaneously be used to fulfill Major Course requirements. The concentrations are designed to provide students with the opportunity to pursue more extensive study in the communication context most relevant to their professional and social goals.
Communication Studies Core Courses (21 credit hours)
The Communication Studies Core Courses are designed to provide a thorough understanding of fundamental communication processes and are structured into two categories:
General Theory/Skills Courses (15 credit hours)
Research Methodology Courses (6 credit hours)
Concentration Courses (18 credit hours)
Required Concentration Courses (15 credit hours)
Elective Concentration Courses (3 credit hours)
- COMM 2xxx-4xxx Communication Studies Elective
Unrestricted Elective Courses
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
For details about the Honors Program in Communication Studies, visit the program page .