Feb 24, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog | 2023-2024 
Undergraduate Catalog | 2023-2024

Spanish, Literature and Culture Concentration, B.A.

The B.A. in Spanish with Concentration in Literature and Culture consists of 30 credit hours of language and content courses at the 3000 level or above, plus a one-credit hour Senior Seminar.  Students with a Major in Spanish are strongly encouraged to take courses in another language at least through the Intermediate level. 

All program-level Admissions and Progression Requirements are in addition to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Admission Requirements .

Admission Requirements

Freshmen and Transfers

Degree Requirements

General Education Courses (31-32 credit hours)

For details on required courses, refer to the General Education Program .

Concentration Courses (24 credit hours)

Concentration Elective Courses (18 credit hours)

3000-Level Elective Courses (3 credit hours)

Survey Elective Course (3 credit hours)

Select one of the following:

Senior Seminar (1 credit hour)

Unrestricted Elective Courses

As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.

Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours

Progression Requirements

A GPA of 2.0 is required.  Only courses in which a student has earned a grade of C or above may count toward the Spanish major.

Introductory language courses may not be taken on a Pass/No Credit Basis if they are being used to fulfill a college or departmental foreign language requirement.  Students with a Foreign Language major or minor may not take required courses in the department on a Pass/No Credit Basis.

Teacher Licensure

The Department of Languages and Culture Studies, in collaboration with the Department of Middle, Secondary, and K-12 Education, offers a program to prepare students for K-12 foreign language teacher licensure in North Carolina. Students seeking licensure to teach a foreign language (i.e., French, German, Japanese, or Spanish) must fulfill the General Education requirements, the foreign language major, and satisfy all teacher licensure requirements specified by the College of Education. Students planning to specialize in foreign language education should apply through the Coordinator for Foreign Language Education during the first semester of the Sophomore year to obtain appropriate advising. Licensure applications are the responsibility of the student and the Office of Teacher Education Advising and Licensure (TEAL) in the College of Education.

Honors Program

For details about the Honors Program in Languages and Culture Studies, visit the program page .