Feb 09, 2023
The Bachelor of Music (B.M.) with a Concentration in Jazz Studies is designed for students who are planning careers as jazz musicians. The curriculum consists of 34 credit hours of General Education as well as a Foreign Language proficiency; 56 credit hours in the Core Music Curriculum, including private lessons, ensembles, music theory, aural skills, piano, and music history; and 19-21 credit hours in Concentration Courses, including coursework in jazz improvisation, jazz arranging and composition, and jazz history. The culminating experiences for this degree are a junior and senior recital.
Admission is competitive for both freshman and transfer applicants based on an audition interview. All applicants must first apply to the UNC Charlotte Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If students are admissible based on applicable freshman admission or transfer admission standards, they are admitted as Pre-Music majors.
Students interested in pursuing this degree program must audition through the Department of Music (see the “Admissions” link at music.uncc.edu for details). If accepted by the Department of Music and admitted to the University, their major is changed to Music or Music Performance, and they proceed with major coursework.
A second performance-based assessment, the Sophomore Review, is required at the end of the Sophomore year.
General Education Courses (34 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communications (O) course are fulfilled by the Music History courses in the major.
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
All students who earn a degree within the College of Arts + Architecture are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Major Courses (57 credit hours)
Musicianship Courses (24 credit hours)
Performance Courses (33 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (Classical) (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (Jazz) (1) (8 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (Jazz) (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 12xx - Applied Music (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 126x - Applied Music (Jazz) (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 32xx - Advanced Applied Music (Jazz) (2) (2 semesters)
- MUPF 34xx - Junior Recital Preparation (2)
- MUPF 44xx - Senior Recital Preparation (3)
Concentration Courses (19-21 credit hours)
Concentration Music Business or Technology Course (1-3 credit hours)
Select one of the following:
Unrestricted Elective Courses
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .
For the suggested course sequence toward completing the major, please see the Academic Plan of Study available online at academics.uncc.edu. Consultation with an advisor is required each semester.