Feb 07, 2023
A Major in Dance with a Concentration in Performance, Choreography, and Theory leading to the B.A. degree requires 120 credit hours, including 56 credit hours of dance content coursework.
Freshmen and Transfers
- Declaration of Major: Students may declare the major at any time.
- Progression Requirement: Students complete a formal review in their third semester for continued status in the Major in Dance.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
All new freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture must take the following:
General Education Courses (37-41 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communication (O) course are fulfilled by courses in the major.
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Click here for a list of courses that meet the College of Arts + Architecture’s foreign language requirement.
Major Courses (56 credit hours)
Dance Technique Courses (22 credit hours)
Creative Process Courses (11 credit hours)
Dance Theory Courses (15 credit hours)
Performance and Production Courses (4 credit hours)
Restricted Elective Courses (4 credit hours)
Repeatable Dance Technique Courses
Unrestricted Elective Courses (13-27 credit hours)
As needed to reach credit hours for graduation. Students may choose to pursue a minor or second major.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
All DANC courses must be completed with no more than one grade of D and a major GPA of at least 2.75. Students must also have an overall (cumulative) 2.5 GPA or above.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .