Jan 27, 2023
The Bachelor of Arts in Music degree is designed for students who want to combine intensive training in music with the exploration of other disciplines.
The curriculum consists of 39 credit hours of General Education, including Foreign Language; 23 credit hours of musicianship courses, including music theory, ear training, piano, and music history; 18 credit hours of performance courses and music electives, including private lessons and ensembles, and 38 credit hours of electives-all of which can be applied to a minor or second major. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook. The culminating experience for this degree is an academic Senior Project.
Freshmen and Transfers
- Minimum GPA: n/a
- Declaration of Major: Students are first admitted as Pre-Music majors. A formal audition is required for acceptance as a Music major (see the department website for audition dates). If the student is approved for acceptance after the audition, their major is changed to Music and they may proceed with major coursework.
- Progression Requirements: All students are required to pass a Sophomore Review (typically pursued the Spring semester of a student’s second year in the program). The Sophomore Review process consists of a Musicianship Evaluation, an Applied Performance Evaluation, and an Interview. Students who fail their Sophomore Review will be eligible to initiate a new Review the following semester. Students in the major must successfully complete the Sophomore Review before enrolling in any major courses at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
All new freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture must take the following:
General Education Courses (31 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communications (O) course are fulfilled by the Music History courses in the major.
Foreign Language Courses (0-8 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Click here for a list of courses that meet the College of Arts + Architecture’s foreign language requirement.
Major Courses (41 credit hours)
Musicianship Courses (23 credit hours)
Performance and Music Elective Courses (16-18 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (1) (6 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (1) (2 semesters)
- MUPF 12xx - Applied Music (1 to 2) (6-8 semesters)
- MUSC 1300 - Performance Class (0) (4 semesters)
- Any MUSC or MUPF course(s) at the 3000- or 4000-level (2)
Diction Courses (0-2 credit hours)
These courses are required only for students enrolled in MUPF 1253 .
Restricted Elective Courses (30 credit hours)
Select 30 credit hours outside the Department of Music. Courses may used to complete a Minor or Second Major.
Unrestricted Elective Courses (8 credit hours)
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .