Feb 29, 2024
The Department of Public Health Sciences offers outstanding students the opportunity to earn Honors in Health Systems Management. The program requires an overall GPA of at least 3.25 for all coursework completed at UNC Charlotte and a GPA of at least 3.5 in all HSMT courses; completion of an Internship or Study Abroad; and completion of a 2-course sequence in health care analytics. Honors students in Health Systems Management are eligible to participate in Honors College courses.
Students are eligible to participate in the Honors Program during their Junior and Senior years of study. Consideration for admission to the Honors Program may be initiated by the student or by any faculty member in the Department of Public Health Sciences.
To apply for admission, students must:
- Have completed 60 hours of coursework including at least 15 hours of coursework in the Health Systems Management major
- Have an overall GPA of 3.25 for all coursework completed at UNC Charlotte and a GPA of 3.5 in all completed HSMT courses
- Submit a typed statement to the Honors Program Director (maximum length of 500 words) describing:
- Personal academic and career goals within the context of the Health Systems Management major
- How the Honors Program in Health Systems Management in the Department of Public Health Sciences is relevant to individual short-term and long-term academic and career interests
The Department Honors Program Committee reviews the materials of all eligible student applicants on an ad hoc basis and recommends to the Department Chair those individuals who should be admitted into the program.
Students may be removed without penalty from the Honors Program at any time upon their own request or upon recommendation of the Honors Program Committee in consultation with the Department of Public Health Sciences Chair.
Honors programs are intended for academically talented and enthusiastic students. Selected students may complete an Honors Program in Health Systems Management and have this designation noted on their transcript. To earn Honors in Health Systems Management, a student must maintain an overall GPA of 3.25 for all coursework at UNC Charlotte and a GPA in all HSMT courses of 3.5, and complete additional requirements, as follows:
- Successful completion of either an Internship (HSMT 4700) or Study Abroad (HSMT 4790) experience
- Completion of a 2-course sequence in healthcare analytics with a grade of A in each course (HSMT 4701 and HSMT 4702)
- Comply with all procedural and substantial requirements established by the Honors Council and the Faculty Council for graduating with Honors in a department.
Contact the Honors Coordinator for additional information. A full description of the Health Systems Management Honors Program is available in the Honors Advising Handbook.
A candidate for Honors in Health Systems Management must also complete an Application for Candidacy form that is supplied by UNC Charlotte’s Honors College. The form is filed during the semester before the student plans to graduate, and is usually accomplished when the student enrolls in HSMT 4702. The form and further information may be found on the Honors College website.
All UNC Charlotte students also have the opportunity to participate in the University Honors Program through the Honors College. A student with appropriate credentials may participate in both the University Honors Program and Honors in Health Systems Management at the same time. The Honors College also provides information to all students about prestigious external scholarships and fellowships, and provides advising for students in pre-Health professions. More information about the full range of Honors programs at UNC Charlotte may be found on the Honors College website.