May 21, 2022
Exceptional undergraduate students at UNC Charlotte may apply to this Early Entry Program to begin work toward a graduate degree before completion of the baccalaureate degree.
- Completion of at least 75 undergraduate credit hours (although it is expected that close to 90 credit hours will have been earned by the time the first graduate course is taken)
- Minimum 3.2 overall undergraduate GPA
- Demonstrate native or near-native speaking proficiency in the intended language of licensure via a passing score on the Praxis Subject Assessment or a minimum score of Advanced Low on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language’s Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) AND Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) in the intended language of licensure
- Submit application online at mygradschool.uncc.edu and provide supporting documents
- Recommendation by the Graduate Program Director and approved by the Graduate School
Continued Enrollment Requirements
- Completion of Early Entry Program Form, and approved by the Undergraduate Coordinator, Graduate Program Director, and Graduate School, prior to registering for graduate coursework each semester
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA
- Undergraduate students are allowed to take only 15 hours of graduate credit before they have completed their baccalaureate degree
Accelerated Program/Double-Counted Courses
This Early Entry Program is also accelerated; up to 12 credit hours earned at the graduate level may be substituted for required undergraduate hours. In other words, up to 12 credit hours of graduate coursework may be “double counted” toward both the undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Graduate level courses that may be double counted include:
- FLED 5104 - Assessment in the Teaching of K-12 Foreign Languages (2)
- FLED 5200 - Methods in Teaching Foreign Languages (3)
- MDLG 5130 - The Middle Grades Experience (2)
- MDSK 5100L - Content Pedagogy Lab (1)
- MDSK 5204 - Equity and Education (2)
- MDSK 6162 - Planning for K-12 Instruction (2)
- MDSK 6162L - Instructional Design Lab (1)
- SECD 5140 - The Secondary School Experience (2)
- Advanced Content Course (5000-6999) in the intended licensure area (3)
For additional details on Early Entry to Graduate Programs, see the “Degree Requirements and Academic Policies” section of the Graduate Catalog and the Graduate Admissions website at gradadmissions.uncc.edu/admissions/early-entry.
For details about the full requirements for this degree program, see the program listing in the Graduate Catalog.