Oct 01, 2023
The Bachelor of Music (B.M.) with a Concentration in Instrumental Performance is designed for students who are planning careers as performing musicians. The culminating experiences for this degree program are Junior and Senior Recitals.
Freshmen and Transfers
- Minimum GPA: n/a
- Declaration of Major: Students are first admitted as Pre-Music majors. A formal audition is required for acceptance as a Music major (see the department website for audition dates). If the student is approved for acceptance after the audition, their major is changed to Music and they may proceed with major coursework.
- Progression Requirements: All students are required to pass a Sophomore Review (typically pursued the Spring semester of a student’s second year in the program). The Sophomore Review process consists of a Musicianship Evaluation, an Applied Performance Evaluation, and an Interview. Students who fail their Sophomore Review will be eligible to initiate a new Review the following semester. Students in the major must successfully complete the Sophomore Review before enrolling in any major courses at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
All new freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture must take the following:
General Education Courses (31 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education Program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communications (O) course are fulfilled by the Music History courses in the major.
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at a college or university accredited by an accepted accrediting body
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Click here for a list of courses that meet the College of Arts + Architecture’s foreign language requirement.
Major Courses (54 credit hours)
Musicianship Courses (22 credit hours)
Performance Courses (33 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (1) (8 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (1) (8 semesters)
- MUPF 12xx - Applied Music (2) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 32xx - Advanced Applied Music (2) (2 semesters)
- MUPF 34xx - Junior Recital Preparation (2)
- MUPF 44xx - Senior Recital Preparation (3)
- MUSC 1300 - Performance Class (0) (4 semesters)
- MUSC 3300 - Advanced Performance Class (0) (4 semesters)
Concentration Courses (21-23 credit hours)
Business or Technology Concentration Course (1-3 credit hours)
Select one of the following:
Unrestricted Elective Courses
As needed to reach credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .