Feb 20, 2024
The Honors Program in the Department of Languages and Culture studies provides a unique opportunity to majors and minors in any of its language and culture disciplines to conduct field research through study abroad or applied internships. After taking a course that prepares them to do and write up research, students will have the opportunity to share their findings either through an honors project or thesis. Students have the opportunity to share their findings either through an honors project or thesis. This is the highest distinction that the department bestows on its majors and minors; honors in Languages and Culture Studies is an excellent preparation for graduate school, and it is a great addition to student resumes.
All program-level Admissions and Progression Requirements are in addition to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Admission Requirements.
Current UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Students
See University Admission Requirements
To be admitted to the Languages and Culture Studies honors program, students must have:
- 3.0 overall GPA
- Completed the 2201 course level in their language of choice with a grade of B or above
- Permission of the Honors Director
Honors candidates must participate in at least 3 credit hours of either study abroad or a department-approved internship or experiential learning opportunity.
In order to graduate with departmental honors, students must:
- Complete the Application to Candidacy through the Honors College
- Complete LACS 3700 with a grade of A or a grade of B with approval of the Honors Director
- Complete a study abroad or program-approved internship and/or experiential learning opportunity of at least 3 credit hours
- Complete LACS 4700 with a grade of A to receive honors (Students earning a lower grade can still earn elective credit)
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.5 in the Languages and Culture Studies major or minor