Feb 20, 2024
Current UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Students
See University Admission Requirements
Students may apply for admission to the undergraduate Social Work Honors Program during the Fall semester of their first year of upper-division matriculation. The undergraduate admissions committee will determine the process for review of applications.
Admission criteria are as follows:
- Overall GPA of 3.4
- Submit a social work honors application which includes an essay
- Submit a completed recommendation form
- Upon acceptance, the student must sign the Honors College Student Code form.
Social Work Honors students must submit a capstone project during the last year of their progression in the undergraduate social work program. This project demonstrates the collection, selection, and reflection of high-quality course assignments, research activities, and/or projects. This project is carried out in conjunction with the senior field education course (SOWK 3484). The information below provides further details regarding the capstone project.
- The capstone project must align with the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards and the student’s preferred target population for social work practice.
- Students prepare a proposal in the Fall semester of their last year in the program based on their preferred target population and detailing the methodology for their project which includes the following:
- A literature review
- A theoretical framework
- Selection of three selected EPAS standards and detail regarding proposed artifacts that demonstrate proficiency including assignments, projects, and/or activities
- The drafted proposal for the planned contents for the capstone project must be provided to the committee in the Fall semester of the final year of the program
- In the Spring semester of their last year in the program, honors students will ensure they have collected and selected high-quality content to demonstrate a high level of proficiency. They complete the following:
- Provide a written paper which includes a literature review, theoretical framework, selection of EPAS standards, detailed explanation of artifacts utilized for the capstone project, and a synthesis of findings
- The capstone project is orally defended before the committee in the Spring semester of the final year of the program
To remain in the Social Work Honors program, students must:
- Maintain a minimum of a 3.4 overall GPA
- Maintain a minimum of a 3.4 cumulative GPA in all Social Work courses counted toward the major
To graduate with Honors in Social Work, students must:
- Produce a written capstone project proposal in the Fall semester. It must be judged by a committee of readers and pass.
- Provide an oral defense of the capstone project before a committee. It must be judged by a committee of readers as “A” quality to pass.
- Comply with all procedural requirements established by the Honors College for graduating with honors in a department
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4
- Earn a grade of A in the culminating senior field education course (SOWK 3484)
- Complete the Application to Candidacy process for graduating with honors, as directed by the Honors College. This is a two-semester process, and students must apply in both the Fall and Spring.
The Honors notation will appear on a student’s official transcript and noted on the commencement program.
If all requirements are not met, students can still progress through the B.S.W. program and complete degree requirements, but they will not graduate with designated honors.