Return to: Academic Programs (Majors)
This Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Art provides in-depth study in the concentration area. Because it requires 79 credit hours of courses within the Department of Art and Art History, and because many of the concentration courses are sequential, it is important to begin taking three studio art courses and one art history course during the first semester of study. Students should not complete the General Education courses before beginning the courses in the major. This will delay time to graduation. Four-year schedules differ for each concentration and are available online or in the departmental office.
- Minimum GPA:
- New freshmen and transfers - N/
- Internal transfers (students already enrolled at UNC Charlotte) - minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Pre-Major/Prerequisite Courses: Art majors must successfully complete ARTB 1201 , ARTB 1202 , ARTB 1203 , ARTB 1204 , and ARTB 1206 , and then may enroll in ARTA 3201 (this course may be repeated once). During the course, students assemble a portfolio of work and written documentation, which they submit to the B.F.A. Review Committee. Students may not take advanced studio courses without successfully completing this course and having gained acceptance into the B.F.A. program.
- Declaration of Major: All freshmen seeking admission to the B.F.A. degree program must first submit a completed application for Fall admission to the University by January 31 to be eligible to submit a digital portfolio for consideration during the Priority Review in early March. Applicants who miss the January 31 deadline must submit a completed application for Fall admission to the University by March 1 to be eligible to submit a portfolio for consideration during the Space Available Review in mid-April. For the most current deadlines, refer to the Undergraduate Admissions website. Students who are not admitted may re-submit their portfolio the following year (only one resubmission is allowed). See above for Pre-major/Prerequisite Courses.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
All new freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture must take the following:
Foreign Language Requirement (0-3 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1201 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at a college or university accredited by an accepted accrediting body
Major Courses (79 credit hours)
Basic Foundation Studios (15 credit hours)
Art History Courses (15 credit hours)
Elective Course (3 credit hours)
Students should take any type of course in the department (except ARTE 2121 ). If an Art History course is selected, students automatically earn a Minor in Art History , but they will need to declare the minor in the Department of Art and Art History advising office.
Advanced Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Two Department of Art and Art History courses are required at the 3000 or 4000 level. These courses have prerequisites at the 2000 level (or above).
Concentration Courses (33 credit hours)
Concentration Introductory Studio Courses (15 credit hours)
- ARTD 2134 - Figure Drawing I (3)
- ARTD 2139 - Drawing II (3)
- ARTL 2186 - Illustration I (3)
- 1 course from any of these areas: ARTC, ARTF, ARTZ (3)
- 1 additional course from any of these areas: ARTC, ARTD, ARTF, ARTG, ARTL, ARTM, ARTP, ARTR, ARTT, ARTZ (3)
Concentration Advanced Studio Courses (18 credit hours)
Students must complete the advanced courses in their chosen concentration. Some courses are sequential and require B.F.A. status as one of the prerequisites.
Senior Experience (6 credit hours)
B.F.A. Portfolio Review (1 credit hour)
Students should register for ARTA 3201 after completion of ARTB 1201 , ARTB 1202 , ARTB 1203 , ARTB 1204 , and ARTB 1206 . Internal transfers are required to have a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Art major required. Art Education requirements are listed under the section for the B.F.A. in Art with Concentration in Art Education program. Students compile a portfolio of work and written information to apply to their chosen concentration in the B.F.A. in Art. A passing grade reflects acceptance of portfolio and admission into the B.F.A. degree program. Those denied may retake the course once. If denied a second time, students must change to B.A. in Art status. Students must pass the course by their 5th semester enrolled in the department or must change to B.A. in Art status. ARTA 3201 is graded on a Pass/No Credit basis.
Unrestricted Elective Courses (0-3 credit hours)
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
All Art, Graphic Design, and Art History majors are required to meet with the Academic Advisor in the Department of Art and Art History each semester. Students will not be able to register for any course at UNC Charlotte without attending the mandatory advising meetings. The Academic Advisor is available year-round.
Career mentoring in studio, graphic design, art history, and art education is offered by individual faculty members who are active professionals in those areas of study. Contact is best done by email or telephone. Most professors are available for appointments from the first day of classes until the last day of classes each Fall and Spring semester. Requirements for degrees and minors, as well as 4-year B.F.A. calendars, are available in the Department of Art and Art History office and online at art.uncc.edu.
Students seeking to confirm that General Education graduation requirements are met should use the automated DegreeWorks system online in My UNC Charlotte. Those seeking confirmation of Art requirements must contact the Academic Advisor.
To graduate with a B.F.A. in Art with Concentration in Illustration, students must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the major.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .
All transfer courses are automatically reviewed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students seeking to appeal the official transfer designations for ARTx courses must provide the Department Academic Advisor with copies of the official course descriptions and a syllabus for each course requested for consideration. Portfolios of creative work from each of the individual studio courses may also be required.
Return to: Academic Programs (Majors)